By Gary Stuart

7th Oct, 2019 | 11:50am

Nate Silver predicts where West Brom will finish in the Championship

Leading American statistician Nate Silver has predicted the Championship table at the end of the season on his website FiveThirtyEight and it’s not great news for West Brom.

Despite currently being in fifth spot, Leeds are tipped to win the league with a probability of 29%.

Fulham come next with a 24% probability and West Brom are in third with 17%.

The Baggies have been given a 42% chance of promotion (58% for Leeds, 54% for Fulham) but Silver thinks they will end up with 81 points, four behind Leeds and three behind Fulham.

That would mean having to get up through the play-offs.

However, the Baggies won on Saturday, while Fulham drew and Leeds lost to Millwall. That’s left the Baggies on top of the league going into the international break, ahead of Nottingham Forest on goal difference and Preston in third.

Leeds are back in fifth and Fulham in seventh. We’ll take that at this stage of the season and hope that Silver is as wrong about Leeds and Fulham as he was about Donal Trump – he only gave him a one-in-three chance of winning the 2016 election.

In other West Brom news, ‘Not normal’ – Bielsa delivers verdict on West Brom after Elland Road clash