West Brom have held talks with a US consortium over a possible £150m takeover of the club, according to the Telegraph’s John Percy.
The Telegraph report claims that talks are ongoing over either a full takeover or a minority stake of 15% of the club.
West Brom hold talks with American consortium over possible takeover. Bid turned down earlier this year and at this stage the £150m asking price is an issue. Talks remain open #wba https://t.co/ypEQKA6gEP
— John Percy (@JPercyTelegraph) November 23, 2020
Percy claims that majority shareholder Guochuan Lai turned down an offer for the club earlier this year but remains in talks with the group.
Percy says the US group “have an adviser with vast experience of the Premier League, and the group are weighing up another bid if the price drops”.
West Brom fans have had plenty of reason to fall out with Lai – not least the fact that he only made £20m of funds available for transfers over the summer.
There’s also been a distinct lack of communication from the owners.
It’s said that Lai paid £200m for the club and now wants £150m back. The only trouble with that is that West Brom have had a shaky start to the season and are in risk of going down.
This is similar to the protracted Newcastle takeover that never happened – Mike Ashley wanted a certain amount of money but wouldn’t get it until Newcastle were safe.
We’d much prefer a full takeover and a clean break from Lai than seeing an investor come in for an initial 15%.
It needs to be the right sort of money, though. West Brom need a group with good footballing knowledge, not just a group with money to spare.
We need a group who are in for the long-term with a strategy that’s based around investing in the squad in order to consolidate in the top-flight.
The fact that they have an adviser with extensive Premier League experience is a good sign for us. We’ll keep our fingers crossed.
In other West Brom news, ‘Sources tell us’ – Reliable journalist claims West Brom in talks over potential takeover deal