Kevin Phillips baffled as FA bizarrely ban Dara O'Shea over West Brom incident
We’re delighted to welcome former West Brom striker Kevin Phillips as our exclusive columnist. Each week he’ll be giving his views on the biggest talking points at The Hawthorns…
Kevin Phillips is baffled as to why the FA took so long to punish West Brom defender Dara O’Shea for an incident that happened at Peterborough in August.
O’Shea, 22, appeared to push a steward over as Albion celebrated their last-gasp winner at London Road.
Earlier this week, the FA announced a three-match ban and a £7,500 fine for the Republic of Ireland centre-back, who’s not played since the win at Peterborough due to a broken ankle he suffered on international duty.
It means that almost three months have passed since the incident and Phillips cannot get his head around the FA’s process.
Speaking to West Brom News, the former striker said: “I don’t see why it’s taken so long to make that decision.
“He’s been out injured and it always baffles me when decisions are made so far down the line.
“I’d completely forgotten about it. It just came out of the blue.
“Why these things are not dealt with straight away and the punishment isn’t handed out straight away makes it farcical. I’m surprised.
“I saw the incident but for me, it just typifies the powers that be when it comes to making these decisions.
“I’m assuming they’ve got other things on their plate to worry about other than O’Shea’s case. But yes, it’s bizarre it’s taken this long to come to a decision.”
While it’s unclear when O’Shea’s ban will start, it could have started on Saturday when Albion lost 1-0 to Huddersfield.
Either way, the defender is not expected to be back in action until at least January, which nullifies his ban and further makes a mockery of the FA’s decision to only now ban him.
In other West Brom news, a pundit expects Albion to make a couple of signings in January after what Valerien Ismael said.