By Daniel Feliciano

1st Aug, 2022 | 7:27pm

West Brom dealt blow in striker chase as Aston Villa decide to keep Cameron Archer

West Brom have been dealt a summer transfer window blow after Aston Villa made the decision to keep Cameron Archer in the first-team this season.

The Baggies are in the market for an attacker and Steve Bruce has admitted that the loan market for Premier League youngsters is where they’re planning on shopping for the player.

Archer had been linked with a move to The Hawthorns [Birmingham Post, June 16] and was being chased by plenty of Championship clubs, but Steven Gerrard told Premier League Productions that they’ve instead opted to promote him to the first-team on a permanent basis.

“We’ve made a decision with Cameron Archer that he’ll be staying in the door,” he said.

“He will be part of the first team group and he needs to be ready when called upon to contribute to the team.”

Blow

Archer has been prolific throughout his youth career with Aston Villa and has even found the back of the net consistently for England Under-21’s and for the first-team at Villa Park during pre-season.

That’s been enough to convince Gerrard to keep him around as an understudy to Ollie Watkins and Danny Ings, which means West Brom must now turn their attentions elsewhere.

While Daryl Dike is the undisputed first-choice and Karlan Grant is an able deputy, one injury would mean the squad is considerably weaker in that area and we saw it cost them last season.

Archer would have been the perfect profile to come in and provide cover, depth and additional quality to the squad and also help to push for promotion.

But alas, it won’t be happening now and Bruce will have to look elsewhere to be able to spice up his attack to make themselves stronger.

In other West Brom news, Nigel Quashie praises “beast” for his performance after 1-1 draw with Middlesbrough